Sunday, March 13, 2011

Emotional Trip

The other night an old friend made contact. We caught up and I learned their partner of over eight years had just cleared out, which was sad and a shock because there was a lot of love there.  It's obviously been on the cards a while as a number of tracks from an impending debut album were sent to me that evening. I listened, was deeply touched at the raw emotionality and moved by the lyrics, which were superlative and have been a consistent hallmark for this songwriter in the entire time I've known them.  I cried for a lot of reasons that night. And then I wrote.

We've not been in touch much in the last eight years but we were once very close. Close in that way that you are when you're emerging into so called adult relationships, where the years under your belt are supposed to assign you with some level of maturity but the reality often is you're still very much caught up in the heat and raw emotionality of being a teenager.

It's a raw time and it's a good time for that reason.  These are the years when we are often passionate enough to really want to confront our feelings, when our values are forming beyond that of our parents. We haven't yet put on all the layers and masks that we will later use to defend our emotional territory as adults. Often it's the last opportunity young women have to meet men at their most honest and the best time young men have to express themselves creatively before their interest in certain forms of communication becomes bogged down in restrictive ideals of 'adult' masculinity.

All through high school I dabbled in poetry and writing lyrics. Terrible stuff. Exactly the kind of self involved, shmalzty, broken hearted nonsense that you might expect from a teenage girl.  I wasn't a fan of poetry per say, I didn't consume it, study the greats or even understand it as a discipline. All I knew was that sometimes feelings were too big to hold in and too hard to talk about. So I wrote.

I tried keeping a journal but it never took because somehow when I tried to write factually about the things that were burning me up or keeping me awake or playing on my mind, they always sounded really trivial. That, of course, is because they were and I was at least self aware enough to recognise this but, when one is burning up over some boy or heartbroken because of the actions of a friend or confused as hell by the behaviour of adults - you don't necessarily want to acknowledge that it's silly and let it go immediately. Part of the great aspect of those years between 16-24 was the ability to really throw yourself into the emotional wash and go with it. So, poetry and song lyrics were a great outlet because I could present ideas in a new way. I could play with meanings and present my feelings like a pass-the-parcel, all wrapped in layers to be peeled away only by those that really understood me best.

Beyond the lyrics of popular music, (and lyrics always defined whether I liked a song or not), there was a singular poetic influence in Rod McKuen. My parents had several of his published collections and I was always struck by how he expressed feeling.  It should not have come as a surprise to me when decades later I discovered he is also an award winning song lyricist.

Looking back now, it seems odd that I did not pursue my personal affinity for poetry through to an academic study of it.  I used to blitz poetry units at school and more than once got almost perfect marks for my analysis of various works through the first three years of English lit at university. Where the perfect right and wrong of math always escaped me, poetry to me was like painting with words. I loved being able to unravel the mystery in a poets work - to try and decipher the message and the emotion being expressed.

There was a pretty strong scene on campus as well, but I didn't explore it. Once, I walked into one of the atrium areas on campus and there was a woman standing on a podium doing a reading. I can't recall the whole poem but I have always remembered this line..."I plucked a hair for every time you never called. Now look at me, I'm fucking bald..." Why is it my brain latched on this this image and can still recall the line and the woman and the look on her face when she spoke it? It is this of poetry and song lyrics I love - the ability to capture a single emotional moment in a few words.

I guess back then I didn't contemplate life as a writer, which is ironic, but it was also a deeply personal thing and I wasn't all that keen on having my deepest thoughts raked over by others. I recall another friend who was accepted into a very small and elite class for writers at University. She used to get physically sick when it was time to submit her work and the tutor and other class members were extremely harsh in their 'constructive' criticisms. Not for me and to this day there are only a handful of people that I have ever shown my personal collection of musings to.  Some I look back on and think "heyyyyy - ok" and the others are just cringe city but that's to be expected.

As years passed I wrote less and less of matters personal. I matured emotionally as well and found myself tormented less often, which is when I used to write what I viewed as my best stuff.  I think it was Pink who said she feels the stuff she writes when she is happy is crap. Ditto.

The last deeply personal piece I wrote was for a man a decade ago. And he misunderstood it so profoundly and completely that I should have heard the warning bells sounding on the relationship then and there. I've been blocked on expressing my own feelings in a poetic or lyrical form ever since.

To have been so touched and so moved by the work of someone else the other night that I actually upped pen and expressed was important. Something unlocked, more has come since then as well. So I am extremely grateful to my dear friend, who always knew how to tap into a part of me that others could rarely reach.



I'm still too chicken to put it out there even for my five loyal followers but maybe...one day...I'll get up the nerve. Until then, it's nice to be reminded that I can write about something other than boxes with blinky lights and cables and stuff...

When was the last time you wrote creatively?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right - so when you delete a comment it doesn't disappear without a trace - I better say what I was trying to say before. A removed post is just plain suspiscious, otherwise.

    To answer your question Sammi, the last time I wrote creatively was probably a few months ago. I write songs. The main motivation to do this is to provide fuel for a music project - to give us something to record and play - it's not some burning personal or artistic need. It is no chore, though. I love the process - I find it's like solving a puzzle to which there is no definitive solution. I get a huge sense of satisfaction out of creating a new song – particularly when the lyrics turn out alright. Mostly, I use words to convey an atmosphere or general vibe and avoid anything too specific. However, recently I wrote something really personal, and I may not put it out there for fear that other people will ask probing questions. I feel quite exposed by it – although writing it was very cathartic. I won’t do that again! I think I’ll go back to being vague, general, and slightly disingenuous. Much safer.

    Apart from enjoying the process, I don’t think I would do it if I didn’t think there would ultimately be an audience for it. Surely Sammi, when you write creatively, you are not just doing it for yourself – on some level you must want someone else to read/hear it. Don't you?

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this bloggy world is annoying. My previous comment is now not showing, which is weird! So to recap for the rest of our guests (just in case we have any)

    Mahinty commented in an earlier post that at high school he loved math and I remarked also that the connection between music and math is clear, most of the best musicians I know are also mathematically minded.

    Mahinty has been playing music since he was a kid. (I remember because I was there to watch him, his brother and several of his very talented friends start to hit their early straps, as it were.) Back then I was just in awe of anyone that would put themselves on stage. It gave me courage to do the same - I was in a few school productions but ultimately, although I managed to get myself cast in good roles, I couldn't handle direction or criticism and it wasn't a burning enough desire to pursue through the fear of being rejected. The joys of an approval based personality! :p

    Mahinty still plays as do his friends. I get real pleasure from knowing that because in some part I am inspired by people that have found a love so deep that it starts within them early in life and remains with them throughout. I'm still searching for that one thing. Maybe I found it and let it go, but having listened to tracks off Mahintys latest EP, I am thrilled he never let go of his passion for creating.

    The answer to your ultimate question Mahinty my old mate is, I guess, yes. For me, that audience might be one person.

    The work I do professionally has been read by thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands. The difference being I'm essentially a ghost writer so my name is not attached to the work directly. And I guess I take a different kind of pride in that work anyway.

    I've had one wee foray into the music world as a writer. It's not mind blowingly brilliant work but I am proud of it - because I got to tell a complete story, covering someones career from the 50's through to 2000. As a muso, you might be interested in this one - http://jimmylittle.com.au/hist1950.htm

    X

    Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy must have been an interesting guy to talk to - nice bio. Well done.

    Thanks for the kind words above, Sam. For what it's worth, you totally owned those productions.

    For everyone else, you can listen to some tunes here:
    http://meech-brothers.bandcamp.com/album/lost-at-sea-ep

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the big-ups on the bio, appreciate it. Funny thing is I never met him before I wrote it. I was given access to a while collection of his scrapbooks and from the memories he had saved, I gleaned a sense of him. The original website that this was on got scrapped and the whole thing redeveloped, with the exception of this history, so I guess they must have been pretty happy with it! Of all the work I do, getting to tell someone else's story is what I enjoy the most - mayhap I am a frustrated biographer?

    Re the productions - LMAO! Yeah right - thanks anyway! Srsly I loved loved loved the bond that built up between the cast members during them - again, its a special kind of intimacy that you don't share in any other situation I guess.

    For everyone else In this Room is my fave off the EP, although I love the harmonies on Both the Same - hope you enjoy listening to the stylings of the Meech Brothers as much as I have.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sammi,

    I've been digging your stuff, as it's clearly coming from the heart and soul. Keep it going, chica.

    You said, "I'm still too chicken to put it out there even for my five loyal followers but maybe...one day...I'll get up the nerve." I say two things in response:

    1. I just subscribed, so that makes six loyal followers. Take over the world, one subscriber at a time, Sammi.
    2. As far as putting your personal stuff out there to be scrutinized by the world--you need to do that. You want to, but the anticipated scrutiny intimidates you. Fuck that. There are a lot of people writing a lot of bullshit. Your thoughts are genuine, and you know how to convey those thoughts into words. Most people don't. Since you're going to put yourself out there at some point anyway, why wait?

    Enjoy your day, I'll look forward to reading your thoughts and adventures!

    Roy (RADventures)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roy, you lovely man! I just got back from honeymooning (where I was deliciously disconnected from the world for a couple of weeks) and found your comments. First might I say thank you for following my humble blog, second might I offer apologies as I have to catch up on reading yours (which is bloody brilliant for anyone else looking for a great read) and third might I say you're right.

    And because you expressed it so succinctly in terms that are so very much like I would use - read 'Fuck That', I'll dedicate my next blog to the notion of getting the fuck over myself and I'll whack some stuff I've written up there. You can call me on it....

    Keep on rockin on my friend - never let the laughs die down for too long! Thanks again for the boost xx

    ReplyDelete